YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Saturday, April 29, 2006

SHORT JUMP INTO THE PAST


We're going to go back to 1938 for this one, Terrell Jacobs & Jess Adkins, found themselves with a surplus of equipment after framing Cole Bros., so they put out another, smaller show, titled Robbins Bros. This is the class portrait of that show, starring Cowboy Movie Star Hoot Gibson. I like the scene on top of the wagon, sure looks like a Poker game to me. Pat Cashin, do you recognize anyone here?

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat Cashin said...

That looks like it may be Otto Griebling in his "moustache" makeup down front with the dog but
Otto would surely have been touring with the bigger Cole show, not on a 2nd unit.

Jojo Lewis is poking out from behind the tuba.

I know it can't be but that little clown down front looks to me like Prince Paul Albert but I don't know that he worked anywhere but Ringling. Maybe it's Jimmy Armstrong?

4/29/2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I don't know that I have the whole story right but it seems the Cole Show closed for a time due to bad business so they sent some people over to Robbins Bros.
I guess the tail was wagging the dog. Yes, it is Otto, I never knew of Jimmy doing whiteface or Clown Cop, the guy is awfully familiar though.

4/29/2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I think I see Lawrence Cross behind one of the band guys, but I can't find Johnny Peers.

4/30/2006 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home