YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

NOW HERE'S USING YOUR HEAD FOR SOMETHING OTHER THAN A PLACE TO HANG YOUR HAT!

I've been working on this post for so long, at this point I don't even know if it is ready. It started as a little thing about Head Balancing, and then I kept finding more photos in my files so it started growing, & on the other hand there were photos I would like to add, but got lost last year when the "Infernal Machine", committed suicide.

I checked out Wikipedia to see if I could find anything interesting about head stands, but there was not much there, except a lot about yoga, & a little bit about head spins in break dancing. Circus riding act comedians were doing "head spins", so long ago we won't even talk about it.

I did find this.
In Gymnastics:
The headstand, although not an "official skill", it is used in gymnastics as a precurser to many skills such as the handstand, headspring, ect. A gymnastics headstand can be done in any way; head only, head plus forearms, or head plus hands. Although it is often entered via a press, it can also be jumped into, although this is quite dangerous.

The most interesting thing I found was this warning, & I sincerely hope those who spent their lives,,,, on their heads,,,,will now know why they feel the way they do today.

(1) Basic risk factors and contra indicators related to the headstand:
Prominent Scoliosis; stiffness in neck,
shoulders or upper back; high blood
pressure or real low blood pressure;
neck injuries; serious vertigo;
prominent spinal defects; disc
injuries anywhere in the spine; weak
lower back or exaggerated lumbar
lordosis; frail upper body; eye
diseases; inner ear disorders;
complete or maybe even partial
nasal congestion; menstruation or
pregnancy; and dental infection
would be more or less obvious
possibilities to consider for
postponing a headstand practice.
You may add your own, please.
Each person is an individual so the
above conditions are guidelines
rather than absolutes.

So,,,,here's to those who got where they did in the business,,,,because they used their heads!!!!

NAIDA JOANIDES
I haven't seen this act but am quite certain it is an Aerial Act.

PRINCESS ELENA OMAR
Complete with her own musical accompaniment.

LAMBERTI JR.
This is Martin Lamberti, son of Willie Lamberti from the Gretona High Wire Act of many years ago.

THE WELDENS BALANCING ACT
I hope someone out there can put a name on this man, he also does a Double Trap Act.
My thanks to Eddy Ventura & Dale Longmire for ID'ing The Weldens Balancing Act, & The Raymils Double Trapeze Act.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looks like the Weldons, a couple from France.they did a head balancing act, a double trap act, and a gorilla act. Eddy Ventura

4/16/2008 1:45 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Eddy:
Thank You, I've been trying to get a ID on them for Months, I also have pics of the Dbl. Trap Act, & more of the Balancing.

4/17/2008 11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, you put a lot of time and effort into this post of heads used for more then holding your hat. The pictures are great and I have to admit there are many acts you posted that I have never seen. I am sorry to never have been able to do so. These pics tell a story that "there is no business like show business"
Penny

4/20/2008 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home