YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

QUASSARS QUIZ: FOR ALL YOU OLD RIGGERS OUT THERE????

AND NO WISECRACKS!

EDDY VENTURA CAME UP WITH THE PURPOSE OF A "LOVE BLOCK", IN THE OUTSIDE RIGGING WORLD IT IS CALLED A "COMPOUND BLOCK & TACKLE". iN OUR SITUATION BOTH SETS OF BLOCKS WOULD BE HOOKED SIDE BY SIDE IN THE SAME CABLE EYES. wE USED THEM EXTENSIVELY ON THE AERIAL BAR ACT SPREADERS TO GET TRAMPOLINE TYPE TENSION ON THE OLD 1/4"COTTON ROPE NETS.

A SNATCH BLOCK IS A SINGLE PULLEY THAT OPENS ON THE SIDE SO THE CABLE, OR ROPE CAN BE INSERTED FROM THE SIDE RATHER THAN THREAD IT FROM THE END.

9 Comments:

Anonymous J.C. Hall said...

I believe it was the old snatch block?

4/02/2009 10:56 AM  
Blogger BOBBY'S LITL BRO. said...

I think you are right J.C.. That would have been my guess but i always called it a "Snatch Block"

4/02/2009 12:18 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

SORRY!!!!BOTH WRONG!!!!

4/02/2009 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Eddy Ventura said...

could it be where one block was attached to the lead of another to incease the pulling power? Eddy Ventura

4/02/2009 7:28 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Eddy,,,,RIGHT ON!

4/02/2009 7:30 PM  
Anonymous J.C. Hall said...

Alright Bill, I guess I once again gain a bit of new knowledge from your blog. I do recall using this method on a gin pole;However I sure as hell am going to pass on what I thought a "Man hole" cover was.

4/02/2009 7:50 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Is that another definition for a "Snatch Block"?

4/02/2009 8:57 PM  
Blogger BOBBY'S LITL BRO. said...

Yes I always learn some thing new from The Master also. I started my rigging days with Freddie Conley on the Texas Shrine Dates in 1963 and never heard the phrase Love Block. Bill did you get the DVD I sent you ???

4/03/2009 2:11 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Hey Casey:
Yes I got it,THANK YOU MUCH! I'm just slow reacting.
I need to hook my movie program back up so I can post it.

4/07/2009 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home