YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Sunday, October 28, 2007

OLYMPIC PARK 1956: CHAI & SOMAY

I really enjoyed the old amusement parks, small or large,there was an intimacy, about them. Maybe it was because you were a performer in a free act, or a stage show, that there always seemed to be respect from the park employees. Maybe it was "big fish in a little pond" syndrome, it seems that everything gets lost in the big theme parks.
Olympic Park, in Irvington New Jersey was one of the best, they had a stage show with several acts so there was always a lot of camaraderie, live music under the direction of "Mr. Five by Five" Joe Basile, & it seemed some one always had a birthday there, party & all. I can still hear the announcer introduce the acts, always ending the announcement by saying to Joe, "aaaaallll right perfessor"
Here are two people who did a nice act, & in my opinion one of the nicest couples I met in my 50 years in the business.
CHAI & SOMAY

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill:
JEEZ, this is just terrific footage- really incredible! I have a number of B&W 8x10's of this act, but never could quite figure out what their act was like. This really clears everything up! Talk about versatile performers and such style and grace- I wish footage like this could be shown in every circus school out there today!!! So many acts coming out of the programs today may have the technical skills, but the artistry is really lacking. This pair could teach a lot of the newer acts today a thing or two to say the least! THANK YOU so much for showing this on your blog! Best regards, Neil Cockerline

10/30/2007 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home