YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

SPARKS SHOW 1946


I seem to remember seeing this photo somewhere in my files named and dated. That's Dime Wilson with the Trombone, and I'll let you tell me who the clown in the center is.

Trudy found the comment here from Neil Cockerline, identifying these clowns, it was dated 04/15/07, it is now 01/21/08, I need to check my archives more often.
They are, Elmer Linquist, Phil Keeler, Ernie Burch, Johnny White, Hodgini(boy), & Dime Wilson.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The General Agent for the 46", 47", Sparks Show, was a very good friend of mine, in later years. In fact, in 1961, I went to work for him, as, at the time, he was associated with Glenn Wade, of the W.G. Wade Shows, in Mason, Mich. He and Glenn, bought a large Roller Coaster ride, from another party, and I came with the ride. His name was Marshall Green, and as soon as he found out I was a circus nut, we became life long friends. I have, in my collection, the complete general agents files of the 46 Sparks Show, along with, other wonderful circusiana, given to me by Marshall. The last 15 or 20 years of his life, Marshall lived in Largo, Fla. In 78 or 79, he had a heart attack, while driving on U.S. 19 in Clearwater he had a heart attack and died.

4/25/2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger Pat Cashin said...

The clown in the center is Ernie Burch before he developed his "Blinko" whiteface.

4/25/2006 6:41 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Pat, You're right, unfortunately I can't play the bagpipes so there's no prize. I've seen Ernie in tramp, august, and whiteface, and there is always some little thing there that says Ernie Burch.

4/25/2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger Pat Cashin said...

I've also seen pictures of Ernie wearing Groucho Marx's greasepaint moustache and eyebrows on Shrine dates, a look that wouldn't catch on with other American circus clowns until Kochmanski (sp?) in the early 70s.


Any idea who the other clowns are?

4/25/2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Pat,
This is a big problem with this collection, no descriptions, and people who are old enough to know are passing on.
Bill

4/26/2006 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill-
Just for the record, I have been looking at your blog from the earliest posting available and found this photo. At the last CFA Convention in Sarasota, I bought an 8x10 of this image with the names on the back, so this is the list: L to R, Elmer Linquist, Phil Keeler, Ernie Burch, Johnny White, Hodgini "boy", and Dime Wilson. I'm not sure how blogs work, so hopefully you'll get this to review and post!
Neil Cockerline 4/15/2007

4/15/2007 5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home