YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Sunday, July 30, 2006

SNAPSHOT:GIL GRAY CIRCUS 1950's


This is Shelby (Jack) Jackson, and this snapshot could be any where from the mid to late'50's. I know I had a chance to go on the Gray Show in '55, and work Aerial Bars with Shelby & Pablo Rodriguez, instead I went to Pollack Eastern for Harold Voise, which proved to be a mistake.This particular trick starts with the guy sitting in a chair with his feet propped up, reading a newspaper, one of the other membersof the act pulls the chair out and the result is what you see here.

5 Comments:

Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

When I was in the first grade of school they marched all the stucents 15 or 20 blocks,(I can see that happening today)to the Memorial Hall to see a One Ring Circus. I remember two things from that day, as we walked past the Soy Bean Mill, the fire Dept. had an aerial ladder extended to the top of one of the bldgs. I found out that evening my uncle had his leg caught in an elevator. The only other thing I remember was in one of the acts a guy sat reading a newspaper and another guy pulled the chair out, and the guy reading the paper didn't fall down. I don't remember another thing about that Circus, that act was The LaBlonde Trio, and 14 years later I was working in the act!!!!

7/30/2006 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's Jack Jackson as in Jack and Babe from Louisville? I'll share a great anecdote about Jack and Babe, Dime and Connie, me and Jim Nordmark if anyone is listening!

7/31/2006 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a small child I remember seeing an act on Rodgers Bros Circus in Salisbury, MD.
I was only 5 or 6 years old but I still remember that and the cat act!Dick Dykes, The Balloon Man

7/31/2006 11:37 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Ron,,,,,, I'm listening!!!!

7/31/2006 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alrighty then, that's the same Jack, I guess. I was on the Jim Nordmark show in '71, when Jim was half the show, and me and Jack and Babe made up the other half. I bought Jack's Concord trailer from him, and followed him on jumps the last couple weeks before he retired and I took possession. On a lonely country road in the middle of nowhere, Alabama, they had a flat tire on the trailer, and flapping rubber smashed through to what turned out to be Babe's lingerie drawer, spreading her unmentionables a mile back the road before I could get him stopped. While Jack changed the tire I walked down the road picking up ladies underwear. As I stood up with an overflowing armfull of silken things, I saw a familiar green truck and Yosemite trailer coming towards me. Sure enough, it was Dime and Connie, who I hadn't seen since Hoxie the year before. They recognized me and stopped, but I guess they were a little puzzled to see me walking in the middle of Alabama with such a load! That was a story we laughed over for the next 20 years.

7/31/2006 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home