YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Sunday, July 01, 2007

OLD CIRCUS ADVERTISING HERALDS

The following information comes from Ole Whitey!
As I understand it, in the very old days, they would have a guy on the bill car called the "programmer" whose job it was to pass out either heralds or couriers- he would have a cart like a Popsicle cart and push it thru town with a load of these and pass them out all day long, coming back to the car with an empty cart about the time the car was due to pull out.

This is one of the old circus Heralds I've been listing on ebay, they are printed on both sides of light-weight paper, unlike posters, that are printed only on one side, most of them measure about 10 1/2" x 27 1/2".

This one is for the SUN BROTHERS WORLD'S PROGRESSIVE SHOWS. it was printed by ERIE LITHO & PRINTING CO., ERIE, PA.
Thanks to help from John Goodall, & Erin Foley at CWM who discovered when the act, The 5 Electrique De Kamos was on the show, & dated it at 1911.



As you can see, some of them are in pretty fragile condition, understandable for 96 years old.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bill,
Were was Sun Brothers WQ at? Was it in Ohio?

David

7/02/2007 12:44 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

David:
The WinterQuarters list of 1906 has them in Savanah, Ga.
I don't know what the connection is between this show & the Gus Sun Agency of Spfld. There must have been one because they used that name in later years.

7/02/2007 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANKS, Love the photo you sent me.

David

7/02/2007 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sun Brothers also had winter quarters at Central City Park in Macon, Ga. Markeno

7/05/2007 11:41 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Thank You!
I would still like to find the connection between Sun Brothers, & the Gus Sun Theatrical Agency of Vaudeville days. Their office was in my home town, Springfield, Ohio. I just learned that their representative in Chicago in 1916, was Tom Powell, I knew Tom in the '50's and he was still with them.

7/06/2007 12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sun Brothers World's Progressive Shows was owned by George and Pete Sun. Gus was their brother. There was also a 4th brother named John who was a performer.

8/31/2007 2:00 PM  
Blogger nytmoon said...

Pete Sun was my great great Grandfather. Their orginal name was Klotz and they changed it to Sun because no one would go the the Klotz brother circus. I was told that the Sun Brother Circus was the first Circus to use a circus train, and I had thought they wintered in Florida.
My Great Uncle Jack Sun wrote a book the circus for the family with many family pictures. I am not sure if it is in print anywhere else. If anyone has any information on the Sun Brother Circus I would love to read it.

11/17/2008 9:41 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

nytmoon:
I too am curious about Sun Bros. Circus, I know little about it. My connection is that I was born & raised in Springfield, Ohio, home of the Gus Sun Theatrical Agency. In my years in the Circus I had the opprotunity to play engagemants booked by them. I became friends with one of their Booking Agents, Bob Shaw, during that time.in between those years & the Circus period they were a big in Vaudeville. "Sun Time", was one of the major Vaudeville circuits, one of their more famous clients, was Bob Hope. For some reason at one time in more recent years, the "City Fathers" of Spfld. voted to level the center block of the downtown, in the process they discovered an old rehearsal theater in the "Sun Building", it was disgustingly destroyed without a pause.
Bill

11/20/2008 9:28 PM  
Blogger Harpley said...

I have a couple of photo cards of Wiley Ferris Jr from Sun Bro's season 97.

Is there any information about season 97 (What year?) I believe the original photo cards are from late 1800's and were from my grandparents in Ohio.

Is ther any information on family of Wiley Ferris Jr.?

6/24/2009 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home