YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Sunday, August 19, 2007

MR. HERRIOTT,,,,YOU'RE RIGHT AGAIN!!!!

John Herriott was recently quoted on Buckles Blog, "It's all been done before", well maybe not "all" of it, but you can bet, a lot of it. How many times have you heard someone claim to be the first, the original, the only. Here is a vaudeville newspaper ad for Detroit's Miles Theatre, in case you can't read the hand written date, it is March 22, 1914.

Some other notable acts to appear at the Miles, Rhoda Royal's Circus,,John Robinson's 4 Singing & Dancing Elephants,,HOUDINI,,Albers 10 Polar Bears,, & The Riding Duttons.


FROM JOEY RATLIFF::::

MILDRED & BOB LEE
Hi, here are a couple of Globe of Death pictures.
The Marvelous Ce Dora. I don't know much about them but they are on bicycles!
Mildred and Bob Lee. Toured with the Conklin Shows in the late 40's.
Thanks.
Joey Ratliff

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good acts never die.In the book "Seeing is Believing, America's Sideshows", The globe of death is credited to Thomas Eck in 1903 on a bicycle in a 16 foot globe that tilted to the right and left while he went around it at 6 mph!! Pretty fine stuff.

8/23/2007 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from my childhood While in Europe. I can well remember being in the same show with a global act' many a time. It was a very popular act.

8/25/2007 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One year on the "Texas Dates" they had "SPeedy Babs" who entered the globe on his motorcycle and the the globe was pulled up in the air and while he raced around a huge part of the bottom of the globe would open up for a certain length of time. Ho0w about that?

8/26/2007 8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad bought his globe from Speedy Wilson, who talked about Speedy Babs like he was a god. One of the happiest days of my life was when the Jordans bought my dad's globe and I didn't have to help set it up or tear it down anymore!

8/26/2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

tavana: be happy it wasn't Speedy Babb's globe, one section weighed as much as three of your dad's. Bob Atterbury paid me $100 to set up & tear down the Babb's globe on his shopping center show, the rope in the pully was so rotten it scared me to death. When I was done setting up I talked him into paying me the hundred, then told him to tear it down would take another hundred. He hired another guy, & sure enough the rope broke & one of the sections fell on the guy & broke his arm.
I was also one of the riggers who hung it in Ft. Worth.

8/26/2007 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speedy Wilson's globe had several bottom panels that were reinforced with steel panels that were so heavy,Tepa and I would be on one end and my dad on the other end. The gin pole was also steel. Whenever my dad would hire guys to help, they would finish the bottom half and then say they were going for sodas; but they never came back!

8/26/2007 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those were the days,,,right?
What fun though!! LOL
Is Bob Atterbury still alive??
I know his sister, Mary & her husband Lee were visiting here last year...They were going to stop by to visit us but Mary accidentally ran over his leg with a golf cart ..ooops (they play all the time) and they had to get back to Texas
Great people!!

8/27/2007 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home