YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

THE SUNDAY MOVIES: HERE COME THE ELEPHANTS!!!!

Posting the movie clips can be very time consumming, sometimes I find that a clip is too long & must go back and devide it into smaller segments, sometimes it takes several times to download, upload, crossload, overload, unload, reload, or whatever, all I'm sure due to my inexperience. What I'm getting at is in my aggravation, exasperation, & frustration, I completely forgot any introduction, description, or creditation,(is that a word?).
Movie #1 is Buckles Woodcock ably assisted by the Shannon, aka "The Shaz", working Anna May, & Peggy, joined by Ben, Toto, & Ben's daughter Stormy.

Movie #2 is Ben & Toto with a comedy routine put together for the Big Apple Coming season, with Ben proving that "straight men" make good "comics".Both of these were at the Catskill Game Farm Farm, 1994.

Movie #3 features the late Freddy Logan on Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus, late
1980's.

The movies are from the Menkel collection, "Roamin' Circuses".

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Naughton said...

Hi Bill, Hi Trudy,

This is the Catskill Game Farm, near Catsill, New York about 100 miles north of New York City.

The Game Farm is now defunct and I do not know what became of the property, which was a vast amount of acreage.

Carson City and Indian Village, a little park, was located up the road on Route 32 and went out of business a few years before the Game Farm closed.

For several years I booked acts into the Carson City park for the summer season. These acts would do 3-4 months on my winter/spring tour and then into the park. It made for a nice 30 week season for them.

Among the many acts that I placed there were: Los Alarcons, The Hansens, The Darnells and Diane Wilson Sea Lions. Also on the bill, although I did not book them were two more stand-out acts: Eric Adams Acrobatic Dogs and the Mike Ashton Family. As we all know, Mike is an excellent musician and I did book him at the resort hotel show rooms during the evening.

When the Game Farm had their auction it was a huge 2 day event. I was unable to attend and I often wonder what became of their heavy ring curb.

Mike Naughton
YANKEE DOODLE CIRCUS
"The Happiest Show in the Whole Wide World"
ydcircus@aol.com

1/14/2008 10:49 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Thank You Mike! I have made the correction.

1/14/2008 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home