YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

COLE BROS. 1940 #4: IN 1940 I WAS WITH COLE BROS. CIRCUS. WHERE WERE YOU????

HERBIE WEBER

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always enjoyed Herbies Ads in the C.R.. He was also fun to talk to...

6/24/2008 2:13 PM  
Blogger Roger Smith said...

Herbie was among the best of the great old-time showfolks.  When I was a young cageboy for Mr. Beatty, in 1964, Herbie would visit with me as if I were a performer.  He was soft-spoken, funny, witty as hell, and always friendly.  When Cathy Brooke, one of Digger Pugh's  "Limey Broads", was hurt working the Franconi (Cristiani) riding act, Manager Frank Orman tagged me to accompany her to the hospital.  Herbie took me to his trailer for the insurance papers and told me exactly what to do when I got there.  It was good to feel this trusted and included, and I took care of all the paperwork for Cathy at the hospital. Once I saw that she was well cared for, I reported back to Herbie and Mr. Orman.  Both gave me a pat on the back, and made me feel like a partner in the show. 

Cathy recovered from severe bruises and internal injuries, and I was dispatched to see to her return to the show in Oklahoma City. 

I later worked with Herbie on James Bros. out here on the Coast.  I helped drive his long irons for his wire act and the slide for life.  I saw him several times over the years and greatly enjoyed our visits.When Parley Baer died, in 2002, Herbie, Jr. attended the services.  I was manning the guest book, and when he signed his name I was taken by surprise.  I re-introduced myself to him, to learn he is a professor of art in Riverside.

As a special request, if anyone knows of Cathy today, please tell her I would like to say hello again after all these years.

Roger Smith

6/26/2008 3:27 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

ALWAYS, a true gentleman, one of those people you knew was your friend.

" Anybody didn't like Herbie Weber, don't like ice cream"!!!!

6/26/2008 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home