YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

MEMORIES OF THE FLYING BEHEES

I received this nice email yesterday with the scans you see below, I know they will bring back some memories for a lot of people. Hopefully Bonnie will be able to send more soon.

Hi Bill Strong,
I just found you and I can't figure out what took so long. It was the Behee name that brought my Search engine to you with the picture of my Aunt Rose on the beach. I am Bonnie Behee-Semler, only daughter of Bob and Mickie Behee. I love your blogspot for several reasons.
It reminds me of going through my parent’s suitcase of pictures every visit to Sarasota. It reminds me of the many visits to Showfolks. It gives me a place to share those pictures which are now in my possession. I also have Uncle Clayton's stuff.
I have been agonizing for years regarding this memorabilia and where it belongs. Some things have already gone to CWM. Since my mom and dad have both passed (Dad in 91 and Mom in 99), I no longer have them to tell their stories which I have heard a million times but can never remember. Your blog seems to be a place for this reminiscing that I so miss.
Sincerely Bonnie Behee-Semler


THE FLYING BEHEES NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE 1948


NEWSWEEK MAGAZINE


ROSE


ROSE & BOB

3 Comments:

Blogger Mireille theron arnosi said...

Thank you for the lovely memories,
they where wonderfull peoples.and good performers.sincerely Mireille.

1/21/2009 8:39 PM  
Blogger Mike Naughton said...

The circus blogs are an excellent and efficient way to document the stories of the people who were there.

A history book is written by one person who attempts to massage "facts" into a readable essay.

The blogs allow the people to share their individual story and their own unique perspective on the topic.

The reader will have a better understanding because there will be several people's personal recollection, unbiased and democratic.

By the people and for the people, in the grand tradition of the United States of America!

Everyone has a story and I want to hear them all!

Imagine, if you will, the stories that were "lost" forever because the technology didn't exist before that allowed the ease of jotting down a few lines.

To all the readers--

Don't let your stories get lost, drop a few lines to the circus blogs. We want to hear them, don't worry about spelling, punctuation, grammar -- you stories are our heritage and they should be documented for future generations. And, it wouldn't hurt some of the CURRENT generation to know how things use to be either!

1/22/2009 11:37 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

"We pride ourselves in tales of yore,
too bad we can't remember how many
times we've told these stories before!"
I've told this one a few times.

This one comes from Ward Hall.
While attending Mel Ray Silverlake's birthday
party, Ward heard Dime & Mel Ray's
grandmother, talking about the old wagon
shows they were on as youngsters.Ward
who is fountain of history, but always thirsty
for more, asked & received permission to sit
in & listen. When they were finished, Ward
asked Dime if he had those stories written down,
or on tape, of course the answer was no. So Ward
asked Dime if it would be okay when they were both
home that Winter, for him to come over to the house,
(just across the street), & put the stories on tape,
Dime agreed. Dime passed away that year, before
getting home. When Ward was finished with the story, I
asked, "how about you, do have your stories recorded?",
the answer again was "no".
As Mike says these stories are the "true history" of the
Circus, if you have some, record them or have someone
else do it, don't let our true history die!!!!

1/22/2009 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home