YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Monday, February 02, 2009

FROM MIKE NAUGHTON:AMAZING ACROBATS #2 MORE HORIZONTAL BARS

Here's another great video found by Mike Naughton, it is titled "Amazing Acrobats", one of five posted on "you tube" by a contributer named mtazhar.

Of special interest is the Horizontal Bar Act. I may have described this unique rigging in one of my posts on bar acts, instead of cable connectors between the bars, they had additional bars, which made for a very exciting act. The first trick you see is a "low feet & hands", and to reverse directions, a "run around reverse",(notice the leg used to reverse is placed outside the hands, if the leg is placed between the hands, it becomes a "run up reverse". When two performers are doing the trick the length of the rigging one behind the other,(shown breifly here), it is called "chasing feet & hands". Just before the "chasing", there is a quick close up of the performer going around with both hi hands & feet on the bar, this is a "hands & feet around", or "pinwheel". There are great close ups of the changing the position of the hands during giant swings, sort of a regripping to prevent the grip from sliding down to the fingers, & sliding off completely,("peeling off"), notice the thumbs are not wrapped around the bar, a grip also used by flyers.



Following the giant swings is an overhead of 3 perfomers doing "dives", they do a "kip up", a "jump up", & then the "dive", catching with a reverse grip, to keep from peeling off. Then there are 3 men doing a "double away", dismount, this is preceded by a giant swing to generate momentum, the feet first dismount with a forward somersault I never saw before, it must be very difficult as it seems the performer must change the direction of his rotation in mid air.
The finish trick is "chasing fly overs", but again I never saw it done like this. I saw this act in one of the Krone Winter Programs, & it is fabulous, they don't do the big "Super Tricks", but as an act I would put it up with the Ibarras, & Rodriguez as one of the best.

Here are a couple newly found Bar Act videos, thanks to the comment from klsdad.

These were posted on "you tube" by contributer chicabuena.

CIRQUE DU SOLEIL CORTERO
Of these two videos I really like the ground bar act better, probably because I see more little "nic-nac tricks", I am quite suprised not seeing a "flifla",(flyover with a somersault), as I'm sure a number of these performers are capable of doing it.
I have to eat a little crow about the ground bar act not having big tricks, a "somersault between"<(bar to bar), & a "full between",(somerdault with a fuul twist), and the dismounts from the middle bar, over the end bar, are by no means little tricks!
I don't mean to take anything away from the aerial bar act, it is sensational, I'm just not one for all the choreography.
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL ALGERIA

3 Comments:

Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I spoke with the boss of this act in Munich, & he told me Roland Kaiser wanted them for Circus Vargas, but they declined because they didn't want to leave Europe. He later asked me for some contacts in the U.S., I couldn't imagine why he would want to bring thr act over here, first with such a large group, they would be asked to work props, then they would discover how much they could make on concessions,,,,bye, bye act.

2/02/2009 12:06 PM  
Blogger klsdad said...

Hello..

Is this the same group doing this magnificent horizontal bar act on Corteo - Cirque de Soliel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdhiWebP1vg

2/03/2009 11:39 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

klsdad:
I am quite sure it is the same act, I'm glad to see them land a good contract like that, they deserve it.

2/03/2009 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home