YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

STAINLESS STEEL 1936 FORD

A little change of pace here, I've been looking at all the cars in the old Circus Programs in the store so I thought I'd see if there was anything interesting in the garage. I found this parked in between my Tucker, & my '41 Chrysler Thunderbolt, and thought you might like it.





The 1936 Stainless Steel Ford
This is one of the 1936 Stainless Steel Fords built for Allegheny Ludlum
Steel. It was shown at our open house and then was featured in a local
parade with over 100 of our salaried, hourly and retired employees walking
alongside it. This is one of only four in existence and is the only one
currently running and roadworthy. The car is in exceptional condition, with
the interior and even the frame looking great.

Each of the four surviving 1936 stainless steel vehicles built by Ford for
Allegheny Ludlum Steel had over 200,000 miles on them before they were
removed from service. These cars were built for Allegheny as promotional
and marketing projects. The top salesmen each year were given the honor
of being able to drive them for one year. The V-8 engine (max 85 hp) ran
like a sewing machine and was surprisingly smooth and quiet. I thought this
was a much better looking automobile than the Ford Thunderbird.


FYI, the car was insured (we were told) for the trip to Louisville via covered
trailer for 1.5 million dollars. We were also told that the dies were ruined by
stamping the stainless car parts, making these the last of these cars ever
produced.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wade G. Burck said...

Billy,
Not for nothing, but over a week ago you were hanging paper for your upcoming, "Beauties of the Big Top" spread. When does the show start? My back end is getting sore sitting on this 2X6. LOL
Wade Burck

3/02/2009 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home