YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

~FOR DALE~ YOU ASKED FOR IT~"YETTY"~

I AM GLAD DALE REMINDED ME OF THIS GREAT PERFORMER, AS SHE DESERVES A SPOT ALL HER OWN, I DON'T REMEMBER THE HEIGHT OF HER RIGGING EXCEPT I DO KNOW IT IS ONE OF THE HIGHEST, I DO REMEMBER HER POLE WAS SO LIMBER, SOME PEOPLE GAVE HER THE THE NICK NAME, "SPAGHETTI YETTY".

RIETTA WALLENDA GROTENFENT
COLE BROS. CIRCUS, POLO GROUNDS, NEW YORK, 1950
I MAY BE WRONG, BUT I BELIEVE THIS RIGGING IS STILL IN USE TODAY. THE LAST I HEARD WAS THAT YETTY'S NIECE CARLA WALLENDA, IS STILL WORKING THE ACT.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chic Silber said...

I thought Henrietta was Karl's

sister but if she was Arthur's

sister it's Grotefent

Henrietta Place in Sarasota is

named for her

I believe her fatal fall was

in Omaha in 63 or 64

6/03/2009 9:28 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Chris:
She was Karl's sister, she was married to Arthur Grotefent.

6/03/2009 11:04 PM  
Anonymous john h. said...

Karl's wife Helen and Henrietta were sisters and they married Karl and Helen and Yetty to Arthur Grotefant who was Karl's half brother

6/04/2009 8:53 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

john h.
Thank you for straightening me out on that, I don't know why I always thought she was Karl's sister, I also did not know the relationship of Karl & Arthur.

6/04/2009 11:48 AM  
Blogger Chic Silber said...

Thanks to both of you

I was about to call Jenny

and Dorothy

I was on the Beatty Show

when Carla got the call

about the accident

She was with her 1st husband

Paul Jordan doing a wire act

6/04/2009 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The preceding and following pics and articles are fantastic. Brother have I learned alot today!
Many thanks,

Paul G.

Can you or anyone give me an address for Carla? I have pictures for her and the family when they did a thrill show at the Great Falls Festival in Paterson, NJ a numberof years ago.
Thanks

6/07/2009 8:03 PM  
Blogger Chic Silber said...

Paul

Send these to me and I'll

forward them to her

I wouldn't give out anyone's

address without permission

Chic

1370 FOURTH STREET
SARASOTA FL 34236

6/08/2009 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home