YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Sunday, June 28, 2009

~IN MEMORY OF: OUR GOOD FRIEND AND NEIGHBOR ROY "HUSTON" HUSTED~

I received a call from Yuka today with the sad news that Roy passed away in his sleep during the night. I didn't get any details, except he had been feeling good in spite of some recent health problems. She would like friends to hold their calls for a couple days, I think we all understand that. Roy will surely be missed.

I always thought Roy had the perfect eyes for an Illusionist.





Roy & Yuka at the "Showfolks", seniors party a couple weeks ago.

I borrowed the following video & remarks are from the magic news website "itricks", hopefully with their permission, so it could be seen by his many circus friends. We live just across the street from Roy & Yuka & we have been friends for many years, we will miss him.


We’ve been informed that Roy Huston is no longer with us.
This video, produced only hours after word was released that he is no longer with us features some great old footage and what looks to be a recent interview with The Amazing Huston.
iTricks wishes to express our condolences to all friends and family.

FROM ROGER SCHULTE:
I am still in shock. It was a few weeks ago I had planned to stop by and see Roy but did not make it. My partner Melissa and I spend 10 years making the film Gibtown and Roy was the spiritual center of the film. He was a master of illusion not just on stage but with life itself. He knew that that this small place called earth is what you make it! He transformed any space he was in with his stories and imagination.
All I could do after hearing the news was try to create something fast from the footage I had and let my thoughts ride the road. Roy is a true artist and his life is the work that is displayed in the memories of all that met him. PLanet Gibtown will not be the same without you! Yuka my thoughts are with you.
Roger Schulte
FROM: MEL SHACHAT-EDMON
I will miss Roy very much. I had the honor of meeting him many years ago while making "Gibtown", the documentary on Gibsonton and its amazing residents. I am very saddened by the news, he was a unique guy, filled with laughter, talent, magic and always a great story to tell. I learned so much from him from the history of spook shows, to the great houdini, to the life of an illusionist (your really a furniture mover!)
RIP Roy, I'm sure your doin your magic in a special place. - Luv, Mel Shachat-Edmon

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU WILL BE MISSED BY MANY, REST IN PEACE.

6/28/2009 8:19 PM  
Anonymous dpowhitetiger said...

ROY HOUSTON: Passing from the Show Scene of another Great ONE...The very best best to Yuka.

6/29/2009 7:51 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Hi Bill,
My husband Andy had a call from Yuka last night in regard to Roy's passing. I cannot tell you how sad we were to hear of this. My husband was so fond of Roy and thought so much of him. Back in 2002 my husband helped Roy put on an appearance in downtown Clearwater for Roy to perform a Spook show. I will never forget that, he was an amazing man.

I wanted to write to you and pass on a website I found this morning that put together a short video tribute for Roy, as I thought you might like to see it, and maybe you can pass it along to Yuka when the time is right. http://itricks.com/news/

Again, my condolences to you all in this time of loss.

Sincerely, Sandy Lalino

6/29/2009 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good-bye, my magical, musical friend. Thanks for the melodies . . .

Bruce the Clown

6/29/2009 6:14 PM  
Anonymous roger schulte said...

I am still in shock. It was a few weeks ago I had planned to stop by and see Roy but did not make it. My partner Melissa and I spend 10 years making the film Gibtown and Roy was the spiritual center of the film. He was a master of illusion not just on stage but with life itself. He knew that that this small place called earth is what you make it! He transformed any space he was in with his stories and imagination.

All I could do after hearing the news was try to create something fast from the footage I had and let my thoughts ride the road. Roy is a true artist and his life is the work that is displayed in the memories of all that met him. PLanet Gibtown will not be the same without you! Yuka my thoughts are with you.

Roger Schulte

7/01/2009 2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will miss Roy very much. I had the honor of meeting him many years ago while making "Gibtown", the documentary on Gibsonton and its amazing residents. I am very saddened by the news, he was a unique guy, filled with laughter, talent, magic and always a great story to tell. I learned so much from him from the history of spook shows, to the great houdini, to the life of an illusionist (your really furniture mover!)
RIP Roy, I'm sure your doin your magic in a special place. - Luv, Mel Shachat-Edmon

7/01/2009 2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to high school through the 9th grade in Martinsville, IN with Roy. My family moved to the San Diego area in 1956 and, up until preparations began for the
50th class reunion of the Class of 1959 I had lost touch with everyone from school in Martinsville. Yesterday I received the Roy Huston tribute and all I can say is WOW! One never knows what career path a person will achieve. I remember Roy as playing drums in the band ( played "at" the flute) and wearing a motorcycle type hat crushed down at the sides. Not only was he marching to a different drummer, he was the drummer! RIP Roy.

Charlie Ostermeyer
Tucson, AZ

7/01/2009 4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well Uncle Bill we can truely say Gibtown will never be the same...neither will driving down Shirley Ave...9 out of 10 times we would always see Roy on the street there taking out the trash or working on something outside...of coarse we would always stop and chat sometime share our six pack we just picked up at the corner store (cuz there is never any beer at the Wilson household.) We loved his bar in the back! Another great one gone...seems as if the scale is starting to tip. RIP Roy Huston...prayers are with you Yuka...all our love KimSue,Vlastek & Vincent.

7/01/2009 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home