YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Friday, April 28, 2006

HAMID-MORTON BALLET & CLOWN ALLEY


It's hard to believe this is over 50 years ago, all of the Clowns are gone but most of these Aerial lovelies are still with us. L to R kneeling are, Elsbeth Cosmo, Joannie Valentine, Bertha Nonnenmacher Campisi, Helen Amandis, Terry (Nachamkin) Abbot, Gracie Hanneford. Standing are, Joyce (Bridenbach) Canestrelli, Eva (CORONA) Williams, (?) Georgetti, Gabby De Koe, Jimmy Davidson, Margo Dekoe, (?) Georgetti, Slim Collins, Annie Edleson, & Joyce Vidbel. Clowns bottom to top, Dime Wilson, Connie Wilson, Ray Cosmo, the clown on the top right is unknown. My apology to Bertha for the wrong last name, and Thank You "anoymous"!!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Pat Cashin said...

Anybody know more about the Hamid Alleys?

I just worked the show and the only clowns that Jim or his son could remember working the show were Dime and Connie, Rex Young, Mike Poteet, Bill Machtele and his wife and Greg and Karen DeSanto.

Any more photos of the Hamid Alleys would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Pat

4/28/2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

The regulars that I know about in the 1950's, were Dime & Connie, Saso, (pronounced sayso), who I think, was also Bob Morton's chaufer, & gofer, (that's hear say), Slim Collins, who also did a contortion act, (but I don't know if he was from Wisconsin),Peggy & Shorty Sylvester, Bumpsy, and Ray Cosmo, Ray, & his wife, Elsbeth used to have a Jewelry Joint on fairs.

4/28/2006 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of the more current clowns you mentioned who worked the Hamid show were also, John Eggroll Kane, Tim Tegge, Sandy Kaye and a girl clown from Carson & Barnes. We all did the Oklahoma Fair date with them over the years.

-Greg DeSanto

5/03/2006 7:56 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Hello Greg,
Welcome aboard, my problem is that some things are not far enough back for me to remember. Forty years ago I can give you all the details, but I don't know where I laid my hammer this morning. Leslie Brooks was another one.

5/04/2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Ouch! How can I forget Freddie Le Vine, and of course Little Dime, (Dime Jr.)

5/04/2006 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shorty and Peggy were on Kelly Miller the time I was there. Very nice to talk to once you got to know them. That was not easy to do, but worth it.

5/05/2006 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill, In behalf of the Hamid Morton Ballet & clown alley picture, I would like to make the correction of the name (Bertha Radimacher) The name is --- Bertha
(Nonnenmacher) Campisi. Bertha was a Former Roxyette, Simrue Sky review,Wallenda productions, and hoop juggler "Wilfred Mae Trio" Frank Campisi- Fancy and comedy diving, Flushing Medows Aqua Show and trampoline "The Trampoloonies"

6/03/2006 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home