YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

SNAPSHOT: SUPER RIGGING JOB


It was great in the days when you could send your rigging ahead, and know it would be set up safely by someone else, especially in a seemingly impossible situation. In this case the rigging had to be hung from 3 points, one being 200' from the other 2. Proffessional Rigger, Leo "Coke" Coffey,(who was formerly private rigger for Celeste) did this job for us on the Dobritch International Circus at the CNE, in Toronto, in the '60's. He hung two cables from the grand stand which was 120' high, then erected a 110' pole 200' away behind the stage for the other end, the cable was run through pulley blocks and pulled tight with a truck to give us a solid rigging.

5 Comments:

Blogger Down the Road by Jim said...

Seems I just lost a fairly long well-written (for me) letter -- anyhoo, Bill , did either of you learn any new languages , what with all of your international traveling and all -- also too , " Le Beer " does not constitute speaking French , I'm told .

7/09/2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I managed to learn to speak German, I had taken it in High School and although that was way back I did find some things came back. Trudy spoke English to the help, and they spoke German to her, and they understood each other fine, beats the heck out of me. There was one driver on the show who spoke perfect English to Trudy, but only German to me.

7/09/2006 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! That is a sensatoional rigging job.

7/09/2006 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sensational I meant to spell!

7/09/2006 3:35 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Al Dobritch had a sense of humor, when I showed him this snapshot he said, "is no good, committee will ask, where are other three airplanes"

7/09/2006 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home