YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Saturday, October 27, 2007

REMEMBER THE SATURDAY MORNING MATINEE:

I don't have a Western , or a Serial, & no Cartoons, and you'll have to supply your own Popcorn, but maybe you will enjoy this one, another great act that was in the Dobritch International Circus in Winipeg, in 1954. Again I have to apologize for the quality, I've run the head cleaner on my player, with no success, so I can do no better than what these come from.

I wonder if something happened on this date that started the lifelong feud between Dobritch & Castle????



Here's a review of Hubert's act, from the 1957 Christmas Issue of "Circus Review", magazine.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure I remember those awful early shows....What a pain it was and how hard to loosen up...but it was fun anyway!
How about you people in Europe, did you have to do those shows??

10/28/2007 9:29 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

fatima:I agree regarding the morning shows on the circus, but this is different, you are forgiven, because you have to go way back to the 1940's to know about the Saturday Morning Matinees. They took place at almost every theater in town, and consisted of several cartoons, a serial,(that was fairly short, & each episode would end with the hero seemingly being killed one way or other, the following week they would show how he escaped death at the last minute), and a feature movie, usually a western.

10/28/2007 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about that....I thought you meant the morning shows the Shriners often had....LOL
Have a good day everyone..

10/29/2007 11:14 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

The morning shows & the Sat. Matinees had one thing in common, lots of screaming kids, we "booooed" the bad guys, & "cheered" the good guys, & when the cavalry came to the rescue of the wagon train it was so loud, it,s a wonder the theater didn't fall down.

10/30/2007 5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home