YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

SNAPSHOT: GIL GRAY CIRCUS EARLY 1960's


One thing about the Gil Gray Circus, if you had a good act, were willing to make changes in the act each year, and didn't cause any heat, you had a home. If any act ever had a contract, it was unusual because it wasn't needed. If you worked 1 day you got a half weeks pay, if you worked 4 days you got a full weeks pay, and gas mileage to boot. We had several potluck BBQs a year & Gil furnished the meat, and if the water faucet was far away, the acts pooled their hoses to reach it. This is The Jim Wong Troupe, And I'm sure they had the record for the longest time on the show, they are, Eileen, & Sung on the ground, Lum doing the Backbend, & Jackie doing the Handstand. I think when this was taken Carl was in the Army. This is another Paul Creason photo.

6 Comments:

Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Is that you Danny, ask Carl what year he was in the Army, I'm sure that's when this was taken. Trudy & I were on the show
in, '60, '61, '62, & '63, and I remember you.

6/29/2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Those were great times with lots of fun & practical jokes, ask your dad if he remembers what I did when he was washing his car one day.

6/30/2006 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ode to Danny Wong : I wonder if he remembers a ledgendary cantankerous old man that smelled fishy by the name of Capt. Jimmy Reynolds. He used to play tricks on you and Antar and Omar Wazzan. I also remember your uncle's red tempest convertable complete with sky diving insignias.

7/01/2006 12:20 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Between shows I was getting ready for a jump, I put the grill in the trunk of the car, then went for the trailer jacks, when I came back the grill was out on the ground, I put the grill & the jacks in the trunk and went for the water hose, when I came back everything was out on the ground, etc.-etc. I finally caught yor Dad in the act, a few days later I saw him washing his car so I hid a few cars away and pinched off the hose, after soaping the car good he picked up the hose to rinse the car and there was no water. He shook the hose ,still no water, then he looked down in the opening of the hose and I couldn't resist, I turned the hose loose and drowned him. He chased me around the lot for 10 minutes.

7/01/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

That stuff went on for four years, I don't think anyone knew who was supposed to pay who back!

7/01/2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. I believe Antar & Omar both made a huge success as Stagehands, Lighting Technicians etc. I seem to remember Antar was Stage Manager for Cher's road show, or some equally impressive position. There are a bunch of ex-circus kids making it in the film proffession, as Technicions, and as Stunt-Persons.

7/02/2006 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home