YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

SNAPSHOT:VIEW FROM THE COCKPIT


I wish we had thought to do this more often, this is Trudy's view from sitting in the cockpit of the Quassar Rocket, watching me do the Perch. We did things the old fashioned way, there were no safeties on our hand, foot, or neck loops, when I look back now I think we were nuts. I remember one show in Detroit working at about 70ft, I put my foot in the loop, pushed out with the other foot, looked down at the floor, and said to myself, "You must be crazy". This photo was taken on L.N. Fkeckles Circus at the Milwaukee Summerfest, in 1978, the shadow at the right is part of the highway overpass.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were all "NUTS" back in those days. We had to be to do the things we did. Scares the hell out of me to just think of some of the things I did. And would do again if time went back. Only this time with more style and talent. Its a good thing you have pictures of the past. Most folks would not believe we did what we did in our youth. Some times I don't believe it. Reading these circus blogs brings back sooo many memories. Good and bad.

6/11/2006 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad always says how crazy they were working under helicopters with no gimmicks so high that people could barely see what they were doing. The thought came to me once in Seattle waiting in a black out to do my act and I was looking down at the ground acts going on and the people in the seats and thought to myself " This is a crazy way to make a living! I am going to walk upside down 30 feet off the ground in a few minutes!"
Tavana Luvas

6/11/2006 7:29 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Howard Schultz wanted us to do the cradle under a helicopter once, I said, "No Thanks"!

6/13/2006 1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home