YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Monday, August 28, 2006

THE WALLENDAS # 5


Here is the Wallenda Roman Ladder display, the girls are, from the left, Rose Beehee, Arden Kriesch, Yetty Wallenda Grotenfent Bertha Nonnenmacher Campisi, Edith Wallenda,(Herman's wife), Rosemarie Wallenda,(Herman, & Edith's daughter), Helen Wallenda, Carla Wallenda, Margo ?, Joanie Letty Valentine, Terry Nachamkin Abbot, Claire ?, & Gertrude Wallenda. The men are Karl Wallenda, Leon Fort, Arthur Grotenfent, Herman Wallenda, Gene Mendez, Joe Seitz, & Norbert Kriesch. Which three men in the group formed their own High Wire Act. The men in dark shirts, & girls in two piece costumes are the center ring act.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gene mendez, joe seitz and leon fort became the fort-seitz-mendez trio. on beatty show in 1957. i think they went to europe. at some point leon fort left and the seitz-mendez duo returned to beatty-cole for a couple of years. one of the best high wire acts i've ever seen.

8/28/2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Yes, I agree with you, it was a great act, and two great guys, their feet never left the ground, if you know what I mean. I got a shock one day walking across the Krone parking lot in Munich and saw a man coming toward me that I thought was Joe. It turned out to be his son who at that time I believe was an agent, he looked just like Joe. I had hoped to see him while we were there but never did.

8/28/2006 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Edith and Herman's daughter was named Rosemarie. She is between Edith and Helen on this picture. They also had a son Gunther. What ever became of them??

9/03/2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Anonymous,
Thank You, that was my mistake, I have corrected it. Bertha remarked in one of her emails that Gunther was there but for some reason missed the picture.

9/03/2006 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked with Joe Seitz on a few tours in the 80's & 90's in his latest career. Could you tell from what year this photo is from? I always enjoyed hearing of his days on the high wire. Joe is an amazing man with a contagious smile and sense of humor. I hope to have as much energy and love of life when I reach his age.

9/14/2007 11:13 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

davidc: The closest I can get is the early 1950's.

9/15/2007 3:43 PM  
Blogger DCLombardi said...

Gene was my mother's brother. Gene was born in 1936. He started with the Wallendas at age 16 in 1952 (yes, he literally ran away with the circus!). Gene and Joe were with the Wallendas for a couple of years, so I'd put this picture between 1952 - 1954. Given the way Gene looks, I'd bet its closer to 1953.

5/04/2009 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home