YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Friday, September 01, 2006

SNAPSHOTS: BARBETTE GIRLS



I have heard over & over through the years that you could walk into a Circus Arena during the Aerial Ballet, and pick out the girls who had worked under Vander Barbette, it has always been a badge of honor to be able to say, "I was a Barbette Girl". As I will explain at the end of this series of posts, I gave up any idea of an attempt to describe this legendery figure. I sincerely ask, that if you really want to enter the fantastic world of one of the truly great Circus Personalities, follow the instructions I have posted. You won't be sorry!!!!

Here is a photo from The Cyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus 1952 of Dollye Green, Kay Frances Hanneford, & Penny Wilson.

The top photo just in from Jackie Wong, the opening number by Barbette in 1953 was "Sideshow", here we see La Norma Fox, & Millie Ward as Can-Can girls, & Cucciolo as The Worlds Smallest Man.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kay Frances resembles Marilyn Monroe in this picture. I never met her, but wonder if the likeness was as striking in person. cc

9/05/2006 8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO..... NOT AT ALL.

11/16/2006 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home