YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Sunday, September 03, 2006

SNAPSHOTS: THE KELROYS



The first Australian I met, was Ray Humphries, who flew for Roy Deisler, & I noticed that whenever there is an Australian on the show, everyone suddenly becomes Australian, "Good Morning", becomes, "G'Day Mate", & everything is Matey this, or Matey that.
These two snapshots were sent to me by Margaret Goodall-Kelroy, who was adopted by the Kelroys, she assisted Ron at times in his Rola-Bola, & Plate Spinning Acts.
In the top photo is the Kelroys in 1952, Ivy, Ernie, & Joan. The bottom photo shows the Kelroys in 1923, in Australia, with Ernie on the left.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was Joan, Ron's sister?

9/04/2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I thought Joan was Ivy's sister, but now I'm not sure. I do know she was Ron's aunt.

9/04/2006 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GEESH! I need a score card here. Maybe a large family tree = tree. Its impossiable to keep track of who is related to who. Or who was related at an earlier time. Very interesting to say the least. I can't remember my own name half the time. Funny story, When I was in the hospital a week or two ago, The third day I noticed the doctors and nurses were calling me by a different name. As I was the only one in the room I knew they were talking to me. Later I learned my friends were frantic to find me as the hospital told them there was no Rebecca Apponey admitted to the hospital. Finally one of the nurses who was a client of mine figured out who they were talking about. Its very funny now, but had me worried for a while. My friend figured out it was me because the other nurses said all I talked about was my animals.

9/04/2006 6:36 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I'm considering getting a DNA test, to see if I'm really me.

9/04/2006 10:58 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I received this email this morning with some ID corrections, they are much appreciated, THANK YOU Gail!

Hi there,

I was having a look at your "Kelroys" photos,and was very interested to read about them, as they are my family.

I refer the two snapshots you say are posted by Margaret Goodall, The photos are dated Sunday September the 3rd 2006.

I wish to make a correction regarding one of the photos,

* The lower photo of the group of 5 people standing on stage with the ladder behind them, are as follows. (They are the original Kelroy family.)

Left to Right:The youngest, Raymond Kelroy,(not Ernie) his sister Phyllis Kelroy,their mother Dorothea Kelroy, Ernie Kelroy jnr, last their father Ernest Kelroy snr.

Dorothea and Ernest had 6 children originally, ,Dorothea, Ernest Jnr, Mervyn, Ronald, Phyllis and Ray.. the baby,he was billed on the Tivoli as "Little Ray")

Ronald, Mervyn and Dorothea died in their childhood. Phyllis went on to marry Douglas Joseph Ashton ,of the Australian, Ashton's Circus family.

I know this to be true because I have the original of this photo and Raymond Percival Kelroy was my father.

You have the details of the top photo correct, Joan,Ernie and Ivy. ( Joan and Ivy were always taken to be sisters, they had a very close relationship, but in fact were
not sisters,( Joan's name was Joan Willoughby.... Joan later married and became Joan Vaughan.

I hope this information helps, keep up the good work in preserving circus history,

Regards

Gail Grix (nee Kelroy)

7/27/2008 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home