YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

POLACK BROS. 1960 #2

This is the act done by Trudy Luvas, and her son Peter after Struppi left the act to marry Tommy Hanneford.


Thanks to Penny Rodriguez we now have a picture of The Faybrays, Bobbie, Tony & Dorothy Yerkes, Tony Petersen, Rose, & Fay Alexander, & Michael Rodriguez



This Picture is from the "Action In Azul" Barbette Number. Left to Right are Brenda Jones, unknown, & Penny Wilson Rodriguez


These are the children of Wanda & Johnny Joanides, the two girls, Yvonne & Naida are still active.


Peggy & Mac McDonald need no introduction.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

look how young my Poppy is! I used that same rigging ( including the foot loops ) until 1990.

11/20/2006 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peggy and Mac with the idelible Opal. Parley Baer had a painting of Opal's one-foot stand in a place of honor in his home. Just a few months before Parley passed, we took him to visit Buckles and Shannon on UniverSoul. He had Kim and I carefully wrap up the painting, and he presented it to them as a gift.

11/20/2006 2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at the quality of this show. Acts and production. For you who were not around in those days this show did not place huge coliseums but generally small theatres and little civic centers and put on triple wide flying acts, big elephant displays, cat acts, etc. It was the creme-de-plume of American circus. The new so called Home Town Circus of Feld Entertainment is not even close and they have everthing but imagination to do just that. And it was all done by an ex Carney mid way operator with the nickname of Louie [pan game] Stern. I heard he invented the pan game on midways and the Polack Bros. were Successful Carney operators before they found out about phones, sponsors and circuses, but they did a helol of a job. And the guy that put it in those little venues was an old show bum named Soldier.

11/20/2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I'm sure I've told this story before, Bill Kay told it to me. In one of the Baseball Stadiums Polack was playing the Circus Chairman had I. J. Polack come out to the Grandstand, pointed at the trailers along the outfield wall & asked,"What are those trailers doing there"? I.J. said, "Those are my performers, they live in them and use them for dressing rooms". The Chairman said,"Well they can't park there". I.J. never said another word to him, but yelled out to Soldier on the field,"Soldier, take it back down & put it back in the truck, if they don't want my trailers, they can't have my show"! Man how things have changed!

11/20/2006 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home