YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

ZA-GA-ZIG # 2

JOHNNY AK--FROG CONTORTION ACT--I wonder if he was from Wisconsin?

AL DAULT & MILLICENT--COMEDY TABLES In spite of the stack of tables,I don't believe he did "Table Rock".



BETTY ALVARADO--SINGLE TRAPEZE & WEB See how she is wrapped up in the Web, I wonder if Jake sells "Silk"


4 Comments:

Blogger Down the Road by Jim said...

I'm not sure what being from Wisconsin ( Myself ) has to do with being a frog ?? A Cow maybe , but a Frog ??

3/02/2007 7:01 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

That is the problem with private jokes.

A few years back there was a young lady who did a contortion act as a Frog,(may be still working). Her carpet was shaped like a "Lily Pad", and she had a rack shaped like "Cat Tails", everything was well done & quite appropriate. She was very thorough, even a little eccentric with the frog theme, even in private life, the inside of her living area was decorated "frog", & she always wore a green sweat suit, & sunglasses. Her act was announced simply as, "A Frog From Wisconsin" So, evertime I see a Frog Contortion Act that question comes to mind.

3/02/2007 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bill:
Your Blog is just the Best! Can any of your fellow bloggers tell us more about these "frog" contortion acts? In my circus collection I have some promotional materials from these types of acts that date back quite far. I also was lucky enough to get a poster from Paul Horsman at one point from a circus in India that featured an image of an American performer (a man) who was featured on the show in 1914. He was a contortionist that also appeared in frog wardrobe. I also have two half masks of frog heads that I bought at the Paul and Dorothy Kelly Auction in Peru some years back that are made of paper mache and fabric that I have surmised were used as masks for such an act, as I don't think they were used for spec, as they seem to be too flimsy and are quite small in size. Any additional information would sure be appreciated. Thanks!
Neil Cockerline
Minneapolis, MN

4/17/2007 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know history on Betty Alvarado or this photo? I am doing research on the Alvarado Wonder Circus? email me at selkins@midwestsecurityforces.com thanks

10/01/2008 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home