YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Monday, June 25, 2007

FROM THE PERSONAL SCRAPBOOK OF HAZEL KING: THE EARLY YEARS

I know this will seem a little repititious because I did post some pictures of Hazel before, this time I also want to add some other things from her personal collection, starting with some personal data, that I might say hasn't been easy to gather, I will welcome any corrections or additions.

From "The Perry Daily Chief", Monday, April 14, 1958.



From "The Leader-Post", Regina (undated).
According to both newspaper stories she quit her job as a Schoolteacher, & joined the Stanley Wild West Show at about the age of 19, one account has her marrying Silent Movie Cowboy Jack Hoxie about the same time.There are varying stories regarding time frames so I might get a little confused.

JACK HOXIE

(ADDED JUNE 21)
I ran across this in one biography; In 1909 he met the performer Dick Stanley and joined his Wild West show. It was during this period that Jack met and married his first wife, Hazel Panky, who was a Western trick rider with the outfit.

According to Jack Hoxie's biography on IMDb, he married a Trick Rider named Hazel Panky in 1909, there is no date of divorce.

Another source says; Jack Hoxie continued to tour with circuit rodeos until 1913 when he was approached to perform in the Western drama film short "The Tragedy of Big Eagle Mine".

Yet again another source this; In 1914, after touring the U.S. in a Wild West show, he came to Hollywood and got work as a stuntman. This probably dates the divorce fairly close.


I read somewhere about Hazel & Hoxie being together in the early teens, their marriage would have been a bit earlier as their first daughter Edna Pearl Hoxie was born in 1910,( since she also did some movie work I was able to get this information from the IMDb Movie data base). The photo below is, according to the date in the scrapbook, about 1915.
EDNA PEARL HOXIE


One of the pictures below shows their second daughter Ramona about 1920, & the other shows the two girls together but is undated.
RAMONA HOXIE

RAMONA & EDNA PEARL


EDNA PEARL MALALY
This is Edna Pearl grown & married, she passed away in 1996.

Another interesting newspaper story in the collection is the one below on Horse Trainer Austin Smith, unfortunately part of the piece is missing so I'm hoping Mr. Herriott can fill in some blank spots as I know he is well aquainted with Austin Smith's work.



To be continued............................

7 Comments:

Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Anonymous said...
Bill, my now deceased, former MIL & FIL worked as stunt doubles in the movies for Jack Hoxie & Dixie Starr. I always presumed she was his wife too. This must have been in the late 20's and early 30's- may have been on the 101 together too. cc

6/21/2007 10:16 PM
24-HOUR-MAN said...
cc:
If you type Jack Hoxie into Google search it will take you to some sites, the first of which is IMDb movie data base. once you are in it click "biography",(on the left), it lists 4 spouses, after Dixie Starr are two question marks. Likewise if you look up Dixie, it lists Spouse as Jack Hoxie, followed by two question marks!

6/25/2007 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Austin Smith was from Oseola Iowa and was originally a farmer & blacksmith. He trained his plowing MULES to work by voice command only. No reins, no whip, no hand cues, just voice. He trained 2 of my dressage horses. My first dressage horse the King of Diamonds, he rode & and worked the Queen of Hearts in tandom at the American Royal horseshow in the 1950's. I think the Andersons had one of his horses. Also the original winged horse that was used for one of the movie logos was one of Austin's. He bought my last horse for me when he heard that we lost Cimmarron in a fire & had just started training him when he died. Austin was either 83 or 86 at the time. All of his horses were trained to perfection. He was one of the greatest and most gentle horse trainers ever. Kandra

6/25/2007 11:17 PM  
Blogger McGuireAustin said...

I am glad that I re-discovered this Blog, and I am really happy to find that Hazel Panky is really Hazel Louise Panting Hoxie Malone King. Thank you for doing this work. If you have more from the scrapbook, please post more.

Edna Pearl Hoxie was born 8 Nov 1910 in Sonoma Co., CA, and she died 23 Apr 1995 in Scottsdale, Maricopa Co., AZ. She kept her maiden name after divorce. Her married name was Malaby, often misspelled as Malaly. She and Zachariah T. Malaby had two daughters.

Ramona Hoxie was born 15 Apr 1913 in Los Angeles Co., CA. I am not sure what happened to her.

Jack Hoxie is reported to have married Marin Sais in 1920. Marin was his 3rd wife. Dianna Juanita Hodges (Dixie Starr) was his 4th wife (after 1925), and Bonnie Avis Showalter was his 5th and final wife (1944 in Las Vegas).

Regards,
T. McGuire

2/11/2009 7:28 PM  
Anonymous Patricia L. Jankowiak said...

I am so excited to have discovered this blog. I am Hazel's great-granddaughter, Patricia Louise. I met her once in OK as a small child, but don't remember much of the meeting and my family was pretty estanged. I've dabbled in geneology now and again. Beautiful pictures, especially of my grandmother Edna Pearl. How can I get some copies? I am glade to see the correct spelling of Panting and Malaby, however, grandfather's name is Zachary Taylor, not Zachariah. T. Mcguire, you seem to know your stuff, what is your relationship to the family? Would like to talk to someone more or maybe I can help fill in some gaps, perhaps thru e-mail, I don't know too much about this blogging thing.
Thanks for your terrific research and caring,
Patricia Louise Jankowiak

4/03/2009 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AS a footnote to my comment made on 4-3-09, Edna Pearl passed away at Thunderbird Samaritan Hospital (now Banner) located in Glendale, AZ. The date is correct. As per her wishes, she was cremated and her ashes were spread into the ocean. I checked with Mom (Avis Louise Malaby) and our meeting with Grandma Hazel was at her home in Texas. We believe Panky was a stage name that she used for a short time.
Thanks again,
Patricia L. Jankowiak

4/07/2009 10:56 PM  
Blogger T said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4/20/2009 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patricia Louise Jankowiak -

I would very much like to be able to speak with you, and I am trying to figure out how to reach you.

Send me an email at:

hoxiegenealogy_at_gmail.com

Replace the "_at_" with an "@".

Regards,
T. McGuire

PS. I had figured out my mistake with Zachary. Thanks.

4/20/2009 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home