YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Monday, June 25, 2007

HAZEL KING #6: 1930's PARKER-WATTS CIRCUS

I have little information regarding Hazel's where abouts in the '30's, no idea the connection to the horse Black Prince. As mentioned before she divorced her third husband W.R. King in 1933.

BLACK PRINCE


PARKER & WATTS CIRCUS
alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5080461592834546034" />In 1939 Hazel was with Parker & Watts Circus. Some of the people have been numbered & are named below.
PARKER & WATTS PERSONNEL:
#1- Merle Smith
#2- Mrs Grahm
#3- Mrs Brady
#4- Charlie
#5- Grahm
#6- Andy Colleno
#7- G. Myers
#8- Buchanon

CFA CONVENTION 1939
Hazel has identified the team as, Wheelers, Yunia & Bob; 4Horse Body, Chief & Ned; and Headers, Sailor & Silver, pulling the Parker & Watts Bandwagon.

HAZEL ON MAJOR IN PARKER-WATTS PARADE
I have no idea when Hazel acquired "Major" but he seems to be somewhat of a legend. There is reference to Hazel having borrowed money from Ben Davenport to buy Major & when she tried to pay him back he refused to accept the money, saying she deserved to have him.

From Kandra Craig on Major
I'm not sure when Hazel got Major, I believe it was when he was very young as I remember her telling me she trained him. I think he died in his late 30's. He was the love of her life. She was my idol when I was a child even though I was terrified of her. Gil Gray tried to fire her because he was getting so many complaints about her cussing in the ring (she was also getting very blind)but she just kept showing up when it was time for her liberty act. Mr. Gray finally gave up & let her finish out the season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home