YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

POLACK BROS, #10

DISPLAY NUMBER SEVENTEEN: ELEPHANT ACTS
MURRY HILL


JOHHNY CLINE

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Bill for showing this picture (in particular). These are the 3 elephants that Ben Williams and I put together in an act, and took to Brazil and stayed and worked with for a year. This really brought tears to my old eyes.(That was in 1976, and from Brazil onto RBBB with Buckles, Barbara and the kids for the 1978 Blue Show. The youngest one, Molly passed away down there after being very sick for a week or more. Even after the show owners flew in a Vet from the USA. It was heartbreaking.I don't know if Princess and Dell are still alive. They were wonderful and we loved them so much.Gosh, this one makes me cry and feel proud at the same time. Thanks so much! Karen Glenn

6/13/2007 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I well remember these three elephants from the two summers I worked at Circus World Museum in 1972 and 1973. Johnny and Milonga (Escalante) and their kids (Kathy, who was my age, Philip, and a second son whose name escapes me just now). They had another girl working for them (Debbie, I think) who was about Kathy's age. The two girls were forever having me take them out together for dinner at the better restaurants! In addition, there was a nice old fellow to assist with the care of the animals. Great family from Lakeland, FL. Johnny's six or eight horse liberty act was sold to Philip Anthony. Many an evening I spent visiting, watching the elephants (an endless passion where I learned just how funny and majestic these creatures are!) or admiring the endless patience needed as Johnny and family worked to refine a couple of horses new to the act. I can still here Johnny's voice calling out to the mischievous Molly; otherwise, Johnny was a quiet guy who rose from being a pony boy on the Clyde Beatty show.
Dick Flint
Baltimore

6/14/2007 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture here was taken at Bill Kays Shrine dates in Orlando,Fl.It was Tinker Field the Minnesota Twins spring training .Behind it you see the Tangerine Bowl now called the Citrus Bowl.
I saw many great acts over several years at Bill Kays dates.Karl Wallenda,Guy Gossing,and of course this act.

8/08/2008 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home