YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Saturday, September 15, 2007

IN MEMORY OF GEORGE HUBLER

I have no details yet, but just received the sad news that George Hubler passed away earlier this evening.

GEORGE HUBLER, CLYDE BEATTY CIRCUS 1952


SHOWFOLKS FLEA MARKET 2006
One of the first jobs I had in showbusiness was as the CO. half of George's Trampoline, & Ground Bar Acts, "GLENN MARTIN & CO.", we played fairs from little small town street fairs, to the Grandstand show at "The Canadian National Exhibition", and from little one ring shows like E.R. "Pop" Gray, to the big Buffalo N.Y. Shrine Circus.

One of his favorite things was every payday when he would come to pay me, he always used the line from the movie GSOE, "Have some peanuts Charlie".

He was one of those unique personalities who made our life a "CIRCUS"! We'll miss you boss!!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sad' too many are leaving us to soon'. I remember in our prime time' Tommy Hanerford, George Hubler, my sister Mireille, and I, whent out to paint the town red after the show. we had a great clean fun time. we crash a big Navy celebration we dance, until they kick us out'. On the way out, the boys adorned us with orkids out of a lage basket by the door, then they decided to take one of the captain hat for souvenir, We laughted so much that nigth passing the hat one to another. Well for many years we never did new whoo had the captain hat, we all would ask one another but no one would say, as we all wanted to keep it as a wonderfull souvenir. The last time I seen Tommy, not long before he left us, before I could ask him' well do you have it' he came out "Do you! have the captain hat"? We figure, it got to be George! Two good men they where'. My deapest simpathy to his family.. 'George Where is the hat?

9/16/2007 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad a number of us were able to spent time around George during Peru Circus Festival week this July...Thank you George for making our visit one of the best and thank you for calling me the White Tiger. You were one of the "Good Guys."

9/16/2007 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

George and I go back 56 years. We first worked together in Hollywood Fl. where Bobby Benson was the Feature star. Then on to the Beatty Show and so on and so on.
Knowing him he is producing the Lords next circus, running the cincessions and probably driving the Gilly.
We have kept in touch all these years and I am going to miss him and his annual visit to Sarasota.
Rest in peace friend
Penny

9/16/2007 11:45 PM  
Blogger Jackie Marsolais said...

George gave me my first performing job in Mentor, Ohio. He had the best stories and great one liners. He always talked about Glen Martin "& Co." and I loved the story of the spotted leopard dog act in Texas. Maybe someone remembers that too.

My favorite line was "Mistah Hubla, you got any dates? Of course I have dates, I'm a circus producer!"

Thanks for the memories.
You will be missed.
Jackie Marsolais

9/18/2007 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home