YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Saturday, October 13, 2007

FOR MR. LEE: ROUND HORIZONTAL BAR ACT

Yes, I know all horizontal bars are round, "Sheeeeeeez!", but not like this.

Lee & I were discussing Horizontal Bar Acts, & I told him about one we worked with in Holland with a unique twist, the four bars form a complete circle. These four Russian boys saw a movie of an act that appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show many years ago, and recreated it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya gotta give 'em credit when it's due, any kind of troupe act is nearly impossible (financially speaking) and to try to make it fresh and different is great to see! Thanks Bill.... Mr. Lee

10/13/2007 7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill - Did you ever work with Red Dingler Horizonatal Bar Act or Dingler/Jackson Bar Act on Gil Gray. If so -was wondering if you might have any photos of that act. Thanks Markeno

10/18/2007 8:23 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I met Red, & I knew Shelby when he was on the Hoxie show, but never worked with either. In 1955, I had a choice, work with them & Pablo Rodriguez on Gil Gray, or Harold Voise on Polack Eastern. I made the mistake of choosing the latter, after two months of pro-rato pay,($110 per month), I blew the show.
Later after the LaBlondes retired their act & Trudy & I were on Gil Gray, I used to practice with Pablo, and learned more bars than at any other time.
I wish I had some pics, in fact I have a scan in my files somewhere of Shelby doing the chair trick.

10/21/2007 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Red Dingler's granddaughter. Are you still looking for photos? I have quite a few of him and my grandmother, Ann, who passed away this year.

I also have 8mm footage of one of his bar routines, so let me know if you are interested!

11/20/2008 5:37 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Michelle,
YES,,,,YES,,,,YES!!!!

I had a chance to work with Red, & Pablo Rodriguez, on the Gil Gray Circus in the mid "50's, but went with another show, I worked there 2months, made $110.00 a month, I didn't stick around any longer!

I met Red later when I was working with the LaBlondes.

11/20/2008 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home