YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

KORINGA

While getting some things ready for "The Dime's Store" I was going through some photos from Europe in the "Buster" Bailey collection, I found this interesting lady, & was curious enough to do a little more research and found her even more interesting. As a bonus, I also discovered the blog, "Raffaele De Ritis' Novelties and Wonders", [www.raffaelederitis.blogspot.com] Raffaele is a major contributor to Buckles' Blog.

KORINGA



Koringa started with Bertram Mills' Circus in 1937 and her 'female fakir' act was such a novelty that it was given top billing on the poster for that season. Koringa played with pythons, and mesmerised fully grown crocodiles without touching them. Other specialities included having a granite paving stone laid on her chest and then broken with fourteen pound sledge hammers; rolling on a bed of freshly broken glass with a naked back; climbing up a ladder of swords in just her bare feet; and being buried in sand for over five minutes. When she had worked on the Continent, she also had large needles stuck into her body as part of her act, without drawing blood; an act considered unsuitable for British family audiences. She was still performing with Bertram Mills' Circus in the 1960s.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill did you know of a Tanid Akio?
She did about the same type of show and was on the Hagen bros also Hunt bros and I think around the Cole show or the RBBB. I have a photo or two I will try to send you.
J C Hall

12/05/2007 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw her at the Blackpool Tower Circus back in the 40s
those crocs were huge....they were placed on pedestals....did not walk around, if I remember correctly.

12/06/2007 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home