YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

FROM: "THE TUNE DETECTIVE"

THIS IS NOT CIRCUS, JUST A LITTLE CHANGE WITH SOME MUSIC TRIVIA!

One night in 1929, Will Rogers went to the telegraph office in Chelsea, Oklahoma to wire his newspaper column. The young telegraph operator was killing time sitting playing his guitar & singing. Rogers said, "You know with some work, you might have something there. You ought to think about getting into radio". The young telegrapher was Gene Autry

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, thank you so much for this info. I have been a Gene Autry fan all my life, still have my souvenir Gene Autry kerchief with leather band and my "bronze" statue of Champion. My Grandmother took my two cousins and me to the Circus beginning in 1948 and my Mother took me to the rodeo in Madison Square Garden beginning at about the same time.

On another note, I finally got around to photographing a poster we've had on the wall for years of the Walkmirs; you had a photo of them up awhile back. Will try to email it to you.

Thanks for alot of wonderful postings.

Paul G.

PS Gene, Roy, Hoppy, Rex, Tex and
others, now there were role models !!

2/04/2009 11:34 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Gene Autry was my "King of the Cowboys"
I really believe the movies & personalities we saw in them influenced the way we grew up.
I am proud to say the "values" we learned have been passed on to our sons, & many other kids of the next generation, especially circus kids.

2/04/2009 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home