YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

SNAPSHOTS: DIANO'S DIAMOND O RANCH



In the Summer of 1954, on their way to Toronto, for The Canadian National Exhibition, (a little name dropping there) Glen Martin & Co., aka George Hubler, & myself, stopped off at Tony Diano's place to visit with Smokey Jones. What a beautiful sight looking across the valley at that farm. Smokey was busy trying to put a routine together with a Hippo, & a Rhino, at Tony's request, I don't know how far he got with it. Being still pretty much a "first of May" I was quite in awe of the whole thing.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHERE WAS IT IN CANTON?

5/31/2006 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was also wondering where this ranch was; it certainly is beautiful. cc

5/31/2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Anonymous is right, near Canton, Ohio! I also remember there was a Stagecoach on the front porch of the house. I once had a dicussion with Lee Keener about Tony's wealth, I said he had an advantage, he was Italian, & he came to this country broke!!!!

5/31/2006 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what i hear, the barn is still standing. I will have to ask armando if he still know how to get to it or Bill do you still know how to get there? I still think about the times, I would be out a your farm and riding the Elephant around the farm. Also watch the Elephant bath in the river on the other side of road.

6/04/2006 1:17 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Anonymous, my memory of 50 years ago is pretty good but not that good. The memories of those days at Circus Farms are among my sweetest, it gives me such a good feeling to know how much the acts who stayed there enjoyed it. I hardly ever go to Sarasota without hearing from one of them about it!

6/07/2006 8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,
The memories of Circus Farms are among my best thing to grow up with. i would love to buy that farm and make it back into a circus farm again. There a WQ in Peru IN. Im also looking in to buying. Your old place mean more more to me, than the IN place. but the peru place has alot of circus history. Someday I will get one of them!!! Buzzy can help get your old place back to the way it was.

6/07/2006 10:42 PM  
Blogger Bob Cline said...

Anonymous,
Are you talking about the Paul Kelly farm? I keep hoping and praying to win the lottery so I could buy it from them. So far they have had several offers to buy it but everyone wants to tear it down and build condominiums. Dorothy Kelly said not as long as she was alive. There are 14 elephants buried out back as well the remaining Cole show equipment that is falling apart. The Cat barn needs work but isn't all that bad. The elephant barn needs some repair as well. My personal feeling would be to build a beautiful Glass type building as a Museum and Education center on one side and have the old quarters on the other. Then tie it in to the Hall of Fame so the public sees both sites. I sure hate to see it slip away.
Bob

6/08/2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

We were actually discussing the old Diano, Diamond O Ranch outside of Canton, Ohio, but I hear what you're saying, about the old Kelly Place, and couldn't agree more.

6/09/2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Bob, I should learn to read before I open my mouth, the Circus Farms anonymous was talking about is the place Trudy & I had outside of Springfield Ohio. It looks exactly the same, in fact better than we left it. The only thing gone is the big Weeping Willow tree at the front of the house, there is a flag pole there now. The last I heard the neighbor to the east, (Crabtree) owns it. Check my next post.

6/09/2006 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home