YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

BARBETTE REVISITED: "SIDESHOW"


Here is another photo from Jackie Wong.

This is the complete group of performers who took part in Barbette's, "Sideshow", which was the opening number on Polack Bros. Circus in 1953. In the front are once again La Norma, & Millie Ward, on each side of Cucciolo. Some others I recognize, the clown on the left is Joe Sherman, the one on the right, peeking from behind Alberto Zoppe, is Dennis Stevens. Jackie Wong is standing in front of the S, & Herta Klauser in front of the H, and it looks like Dorothy Pina,(later married to Bobby Yerkes), behind the bass drum.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Standing next to Dorothy Pina is Elaine Millar. The girl in the long dress just below Chester Sherman is Dollye green.

Penny

9/06/2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Penny, I'm surprised you didn't catch my mistake, it is Joe Sherman, not Chester.

9/06/2006 9:57 PM  
Blogger Angel Feathers Tickle Me said...

Love to all....

9/06/2006 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,

It is Joe Sherman on the left.

I had the pleasure of getting to know Denis Stevens in the twilight of his career. Well, "getting to know" might be an overstatement, he was a very quiet individual when I knew him.

He was very astute about circus clowning. As quiet as he was we still talked at great length about circus and show business.

I know Denis Stevens was his stage name, that was one of the last things he told me, and that he was from Utica, New York.

We all know he was a contortionist and he told me that he only clowned on three circuses his entire life: Pollack, Ringling and then Beatty-Cole.

I have a scratchy, hand-written letter from Denis safely put away in one of my trunks.

Bernie Kallman worked with Denis for years on Beatty, perhaps Bernie can share some Denis info on your blog or Pat Cashin's blog.

Regards to Trudy.

9/07/2006 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bearded lady;
was Mireille Theron,
at that time.

11/12/2006 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home