YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

POLACK BROS., SPRINGFIELD, OHIO 1960

The Bobby Yerkes Flying Act did not work in Springfield due to the design of the building.


Pat anthony was forever being compared to Clyde Beatty, although he did not receive the world recognition of Beatty, he was nevertheless a great trainer, a great personality and had a great act.


Jesse Cardona was in my opinion one of the two best Cloud-Swing Acts I ever saw, the other being Manuel Barrigon. Jesse was also Peluza's Uncle.


11 Comments:

Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I used to like the way Pat would stagger out of the arena in complete exhaustion, a showman all the way.

11/19/2006 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PAT ANTHONY made a better Clyde Beatty then Beatty did.

11/19/2006 7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume you never saw Clyde Beatty. Case closed.

11/19/2006 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong Retrial Case over turned

11/20/2006 2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat wanted to be like Beatty in every way. He knew everything there was to know about Beatty, but in that dressing room we shared in Memphis, in '72, he spoke of no one touching the Beatty showmanship. Mabel Stark told me she didn't know it all and I never would, either. Pat told me there would never be another Beatty. Two lessons in honest humility from which we can all learn.

11/20/2006 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my youth in 1963 I saw Clyde Beatty for the first time at a matinee of the Detroit Shrine Circus. About a month later I saw Pat Anthony working 17 cats at the Medinah Temple. At the time, and probably because I had a great seat at Medinah, Pat's act appeared more exciting. After his act I told Pat I'd just seen Beatty but I thought his act was better. I forget the exact words but I was basically told Clyde Beatty was the man and Pat never claimed to be his equal.

11/20/2006 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat was his own man. Always the gentleman. My keyboard is red from the blood caused by biting my tongue. Pat was the tall, dark, handsome man females dreamed about. He looked the part of a movie star and lion tamer close up and in person. He was wonderful from a female point of view. Manly enough for the blood and guts men seem to thrive on.

11/20/2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I never heard Pat knock another trainer or act, in fact he chewed my A-- once for making fun of an older gentleman who's name I don't remember.

11/20/2006 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat Anthony did work in movies. All the Compound trainers did. Next time they run SAMSON AND DELILAH, watch for Samson killing the lion. Victor Mature sat this one out, as Pat wrestled with Mel Koontz's Jackie lion. Looking close and quick in this rather brief sequence, you can easily tell it's Pat under that wig.

11/21/2006 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clyde Beatty.
was great... number one.
Pat anthony.
was good...number one in casanova.

11/21/2006 9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat Anthony is a distant cousin. I never realized that he was so well-known. Will let the rest of my family know!

7/13/2007 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home