YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Thursday, January 04, 2007

R.B.B.&B. RED UNIT OPENING

The $12 parking fee was definately not a good start.

To get right to it, I guess it doesn't matter the shape of the "enclosures", as in the past, most of the time, the "ring curbs", or, "diamond curbs", or what ever, were piled in the corners of where an "enclosure" might have been. As for the pre show, if I never see another "silk worm" in my life, it will be too soon. The Trampoline in the pre show would have been better used in the show.

The BMX number was supposed to be some sort of competition, but let's face it, turn on your TV on Sat. morning and see the real thing, the Cloud Swing was lost behind the frames, the powers that be could spend time making sure everyone can see everything.

At least they had the blow up rings for the Liberty Acts, even though as is the norm neither of the three acts was ready, it does look bad with people running around the ring grabbing animals & leading them.

The High Wire is sure enough unique, although the wires were pretty short, and I miss the drama,(Harold please come home).

The well trained Lance Ramos Tiger Act was exciting, perhaps a little too much so from the tigers' standpoint, they seemed to be a little afraid of the presenter, to me that's dangerous. But, it was their first time in public, and he's only had 2 weeks with them,(check it out later). Personally I would rather see Lance work them.

The Sway Pole act was a Sway Pole Act, I thought the poles looked awfully close but maybe it was the angle.

I have constantly said that Flying Acts seem to be about the only acts that have kept up the standards through the years, and have improved them. A good display, however I can for give missing a Triple, but not a Shoot Over on the Passing Leap.

The Chinese Posing Act was a Bore, and took too much time in & out.The front Dog Act was Fabulous, the back one was lost.

It took 6 people to hold a 5 "person" high in the Teeterboard Act, and was pretty shakey in the middle, I'll still take "The Balkanskis", any day, no "puppets on a string" there.

The two Long Mounts on the tubs were great, otherwise there was an awful lot of time spent moving from one place to another.

The "Wheels Act" was very entertaining, it's great to see someone come up with a different twist, probably the best improvement since Clay Beckett came up with the idea.

PI-r-Square!! No, cake are square, pie are round, & so are Cannon Barrels, how I long for the old Zacchini "schtick"

I repeat, Bello is a very talented young man, but when is enough, enough.

Jimmy, I sat right behind the "lighting director", you should watch him work, we have always admired "ice show lighting" cues, this guy puts them all to shame.

All in all I thought the show was no worse, or no better than usual compared to the last few years, it is always too "busy" for my taste!!!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's 12 yearolds at the end of my street that do better BMX tricks than these two paid people did.

1/04/2007 7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minor correction: It's the Red Show with Bello. Ever since the Gebel Family exited I have trouble telling the two shows apart.

1/05/2007 3:03 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Thank you Barney!

Hell I ain't sure of anything anymore!!!!

1/05/2007 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Several years ago I almost choked when the parking lot attendant told me the fee was $10. I told him I will only be here for a few hours I am not buying a time share. The attendant called over the city police claiming I was a difficult customer; I explained to the very amused officer that at a price of $10.00 I wasn't a difficult customer I WAS THE ONLY CUSTOMER in the lot.

1/05/2007 7:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I went to visit the Cirque du Soleil show "Varekai" under the Big Top in the Parking Lot of the Staples Center in L.A. last year, and the Parking fee was $24.00. I was also charged $21.00 a night to park at the Westin Hotel in downtown L.A. after paying $149.00 a night to stay there. Tampa is still a bargain. David Chabira

1/05/2007 8:02 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

You probably at least got to see a decent show, this thing is a rip off at any price.

1/05/2007 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT IS THE REASON WE DINT GO THERE...
AND SO GLAD... WE DINT....
LAST YEAR WASS ALL WE COULD TAKE....

1/07/2007 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home