YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Thursday, April 19, 2007

CIRCUS VARGAS #3

MR. STRONG'S LLAMAS & PONIES


IN THE RING,,,,I HOPE!
I have to say this, when they worked good it was the most satisfying thing I ever did in the bussiness. When they didn't, it was the most exasperating thing.

On opening night in Yuma, Arizona everything except the Llamas blew the ring, out the back door of the tent, & out the back gate of the fairgrounds. The next day Trudy ran into Cliff Vargas & he asked very sympathetically, "How is poor Bill"?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The worst part is having to finish the number with 1 or 2 and act like everything is just fine. cc

4/19/2007 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I presented a poodle act of two poodles on Fairyland Circus for Obert Miller. Everything worked great unless the poodles saw Obert waiting to follow us with his pony act. They took off to jump in his arms. I just left the ring. Obert had to move further from the back door if the poodles were to perform. I can't remember if Obert trained them or Babe Woodcock. I know they lived with Obert who lived across the road from us.

4/19/2007 3:24 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

This act consisted of an appaloosa who had never been in the ring before; a leopard spot POA,aptly named Jaws,(because he wanted to eat up everything that moved),who had worked in another act; two Llamas,(one day I said something to prop boss Guy Pickup about the llamas, and he said, "yeh they did that when I worked them too", another time I said something to one of the show girls & she replied, "yeh they did that when I worked them too"); a gray Welsh pony who also had never been in the ring; & a miniature pony who had run the ring but nothing else.
Trudy trained the act in 5 weeks & I think she did a great job. It was a simple routine, running the ring change the ring twice, & she put a waltz on all 6 of them. When I brought them in line for the pedestals all I had to do was line them up, & lower my whips, the Llamas turned & went to their pedestal at the back, the big horse went to the front, one pony to each side, & the miniature on the back ring curb. I didn't have to move a muscle, or say a word. I worked them in a display with her so I was on my own so I had some rough times at first. I worked them for two years except for time off with a broken ankle, during that time Rex worked them, for nothing,(bless his heart), so I wouldn't lose my salary.

4/19/2007 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you honestly think any of the next generation would do what REX did for a fellow performer? Thats what real circus was. Money was not the main object. Steady work, friends you could count on and the love of the circus. Where has it all gone?

4/19/2007 7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Rebecca, I hate to sound so negative, but today everyone seems to think only of themselves and the mighty dollar...

4/20/2007 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I canot speak for the next generation, but I sure hope they would realize the meaning of human decency. twice' once I was ask to take the place of a performer at the concession stand, he had to take care of his wife whoom got hurt some how, another time work in an act for 3 weeks (same reason) when I refuse to take the income on both time, they where surprise. I was surprise that they where.

4/20/2007 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home