YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

DAREDEVILS # 4

We watched Rolling Globe Acts such as The Lacy Troupe, & The Verdus roll the globes up the ramp, take a look at these.


DELIA CANESTRELLI
Ringling Bros. Circus in Madison Square Garden, early 1950's


ARCHILLE PHILLON, SPIRE GLOBE ARTIST, SALTAIR, UTAH
I am deeply indebted to BJ for sending me this photo. I have searched for one like it for a long time.

The act I've always heard about was "The Great Fussner", I have no idea if there is any connection, I once saw a picture of him going over a teeter totter in the middle of the ramp.

This has to be the Grand-Daddy of all Daredevil Riggings, it must have taken days to set up this giant. No overnight jumps here!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister Mireille and I' did some carzy stunt as teens, like jumpimg from the top of the train to train wagon ( it was at that time going 10 milles per hrs) but at 45 milles per hrs we would go on top of the train and lay down to take some sun, then get on the caboose and bugs the cards players by taping on the window. but those acts' are something erlse.

4/05/2007 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even tho I have been on tent shows for 27 years you and buckles and the people that post sometimes make me feel like a first of may...I really love your blog, it's like a family album kind of. I wish I could have seen this act and the other high acts they are great- BJ

4/05/2007 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! My great grandfather is the Great Fussner. If you find any pictures of him could you let me know because my family is always looking for some. There are not many to be found. Thanks so much!

Hope Fussner
hafussner@usieagles.org

5/14/2008 6:05 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

The elusive "Fussner", I have been looking for years for a photo that I can positively ID as him. I see pics of acts with the spiral in the background but that is not the same. The rigging on my "Daredevil"post looks like his but has a different name & I see no teeter-totter. I will put your email address in my blog address book.
Bill

5/14/2008 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home