YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

BARNES BROS. CIRCUS #1


This poster also appeared with the name Greater Olympia Circus, I confess a little confusion as to which was used first, as far as I can learn is it was this title that was used in the early 40's, which would pre-date the Barnes name. Both were applied to an annual Circus staged at Arthur Wirtz' Chicago Stadium, later on the Cole Bros. name was also used. Now all I have to figure out how Barnes & Carruthers fits in.

There are still some of these available in "THE GIBTOWN DIME'S STORE"!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob Cline said...

A little assistance in your inquiry comes from Robert Parkinson's Directory of American Circuses.
There was a Greater European Olympia Circus at the Chicago Stadium in 1931 and 1939.
1940 and 1941 it was called the Greater Olympia Circus.
1942 and 1943 it was simply the Olympia Circus.
1944 started the title of Barnes Bros.-Olympia Circus.
1945 to 1948 it was Barnes Bros. Circus.
Mr. Parkinson's well researched book also includes the Barnes Carruthers title but does not define a year.
Bob

7/12/2006 5:54 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Thank You Bob,
I really wasted a lot of time while we were at CWM, I wish I had done some studying on a lot of things.

7/15/2006 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home