YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Saturday, August 12, 2006

CIRCUS FARMS GUESTBOOK # 2


Even after he retired from flying, Fay Alexander never quit, he was always on the floor watching the flying act work, and when they practiced he was there, helping with expert advice and teaching the younger flyers. This photo was taken in the Summer of 1980 at Circus Farms while the Flying Lanes were laying over and practicing behind the barn. I remember Gene Mendez stretching a wire between two trees for practicing, Lou Ann Jacobs did her first half twisting ankle catch on a trap bar hung in the barn, I remember a very young Nicholas Winn practicing wire walking. The rest of the Winn boys never practiced much, they were busy helping me with what ever I might be building or repairing. Great memories!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was still hobbling around on crutches when I went stumbling up to Fay Alexander. He was on Ringling in '57, their first year on rubber tires, and he was trying to work on his trailer. He stopped what he was doing, shook hands and visited with me for over two hours. I had just seen him, maybe a dozen times, in TRAPEZE, and I was overawed at meeting him. He seemed to pick on this a little and made sure I had a seat near his rigging for the show. He introduced me to Lou Jacobs, and even had the otherwise gruff Tuffy Genders shake my hand. He remains one of my heroes, shoulder-to-shoulder with Clyde Beatty.

8/13/2006 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home