YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

SNAPSHOTS:GHOST OF KIMRIS PAST

I'm sure the title of this post sounds a little corny, but I have chased this ghost for over 40 years. It finally caught up wih me, thanks to Rick Cobb, originally of Sarasota, and now residing in California, Rick found these photos in an antique store in Bradenton last week. While researching Kimris' history he came across my ebay site & contacted me. I now have only one more chapter to find, that is Vera's husband, Leon,(Henri's brother), who preceeded her in the act. Leon fell during the dress rehearsal of Billy Rose's "Jumbo" in 1935, and was never able to work in the act again. Later while hanging the rigging in St Paul, he fell from the girders, & was killed.

This is a beautiful picture, it was taken at the 1939 New York Worlds Fair.


In later years Henri worked in brief trunks, when we took over the act, I just could'nt see myself in trunks so I wore white tights.


These are the White Satin Suits I spoke of in an earlier post.


Lee referred to this airplane as "The Bathtub".


This is the St Louis Police Circus, at the arena in 1941. I'm not sure if this an entrance or not, I do remember that they did not do spec.


Here is a close up of Vera, every time I see this White Satin suit I remember how heavy it was.

8 Comments:

Blogger Down the Road by Jim said...

I just now got it --- "Ghost of Kimris past " Ghost of christmas past -- that was good -- sounds like something I'd print -- or maybe you're starting to get more like me ! Makes one stop and think !

11/25/2006 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,
what kind of car is that in the entrance ? the ornament doesn't look like Ford. But the body does.
Lincoln ? LaSalle?

11/26/2006 8:43 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

larry, I've looked for an hour, can't find anything like it!!!!

11/26/2006 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the body style looks like Ford 1939-1941
grilland hood ornament I don't recognise
my dad had a '39 2 dr

11/27/2006 12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there was also a slope-back in '40 (looked like an old volvo)
don't know the difference
but that rear fender and trunkline are recognizable Fomoco

11/27/2006 12:15 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

Mr. larryallendean,
TADAAAAAAAAH!!!! I found it, it is a 1941 Mercury!!!! I'm still trying to determine the model, but its is similar to the Ford Super Deluxe Convertable but the grill is different.

11/28/2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

19A Model 8 Club Convertable Coupe!!!!

11/28/2006 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could this act have performed at the top of MSG with Ringling in the '42-'46 period? If so, I've had it etched in my memory since childhood all these years.
RWS

6/19/2008 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home