YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Friday, July 27, 2007

FAVORITE THINGS #9 : COMEDY ACTS

BEN DOVA
Did you know this is the, "German Acrobat", that jumped from the "Hindenburg" when it crashed in Lakehurst, New Jersey many years ago. However he did not break both legs as has been reported, he merely sprained his ankles.

GAYLORD MAYNARD & CHIEF BEARPAW.
I remember when Gaylord first started working this act, I heard people say, " I hope nothing happens to the horse because he'll never be able to train another",,,,HUH???? What did you say???? This is one of the great "Showmen", of our time.

DOUGIE ASHTON & CO.
What can I say???? Pat Cashin has a video of Dougie doing his own thing in a Ringling production number that is fabulous. clownalley.net

THE ORIGINAL GUTIS FAMILY
A much copied, but NEVER equaled comedy sensation!!!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite part of the Gutis act was ( first if you were back stage) watching Heidi do all the quick changes, but especially when Mr. Gutti came in as the bull fighter and tripped! There is video of them on the DVDs I sent. I hope you got them, Bill.

7/28/2007 5:45 PM  
Blogger Mike Naughton said...

Tavana,

I agree with you regarding Charlie's ballet-like trip and fall over the mat. I watched it countless times from offstage, too. It was my favorite part as well.

Since I'm a Michael, I asked Mickey if his formal name was Michael as well. He told me "NO" his became Mickey when he played Mickey Mouse in the Disney section of spec on RBBB. Come to think of it, I don't recall his given first name.

7/29/2007 10:36 AM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

tavana: I'm sorry, yes I received the dvd's, my trip to the hospital sort of interupted everything.

7/29/2007 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better, Bill. And take your time making copies-no hurry.

I sent you some more route, Mike Naughton, we are in Conneaut, Ohio today and headed toward Cleveland area. Hope you got it.

7/29/2007 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tavana , I couldn't agree more about Charlie's "trip" It was the best! Last time we worked together Peter was by then in the act as well.. Just the best, Sorry willie west mcginty.. To me the Gutis were in a league of their own. Don't forget how mickey and Charlie could make their bow ties jump to the music as well! Good memories indeed... MR. LEE

7/29/2007 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bill Strong, Gaylords daughter rhonda sent me yesterday's town. I remenber when my dad Tex maynard and myself used to paint the arrows on thoes poles back in the 1950's ,at that time we was with ring bros circus and that was where gaylord started performing, He clowned and did a trampoline act,I was just down to fla to visit my brother. I love him dearly. Roberta Maynard Thornburg

8/01/2007 7:48 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

As we all do! I think Gaylord is one of the great success stories of our business. And for his battle with his health problems, there is a German saying.
"Fallen ist keine Schande, aber bleiben".
"Falling down is no disgrace, but to stay there is".

8/02/2007 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home