YESTERDAY'S TOWNS

HOWDY, MY NAME IS BILL STRONG, I'LL BE YOUR "24 HOUR MAN", ROUTING YOU INTO THE PAST TO SEE WHAT THE CIRCUS WAS IN DAYS GONE BY. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, AND MISS WHAT IT USED TO BE, THEN COME ON ALONG AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD FOLLOWING THE ARROWS BACKWARDS, TO "YESTERDAY'S TOWNS"! IF YOU HAVE CIRCUS RELATED PICTURES YOU WOULD LIKE POSTED, SEND THEM TO,,,,yesterday1@verizon.net,,,,AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT THEM IN. "24 HOUR MAN" WILL HAVE THE FINAL DECISION ON POSTING.

My Photo
Name:
Location: GIBSONTON, FLORIDA, United States

Three years at CWM made me a real traditionalist, and I keep remembering Bob Parkinson saying, "I want the people to see what the circus used to be, not what it is today. That's what this site is about!

Friday, August 04, 2006

THOSE MORALES BOYS



All of these photos were printed from some 250 negatives I found with family albums, that for some unknown reason were kept hidden for over 75 years, so identifying everyone in them is not easy. On the left here is Billy Pape, on the right is Pedro Morales Sr., next to him is his Head To Head Balancing partner, but his name is unknown, as is the other gentleman. They sure all dressed up in their Sunday best, which was everyday wear back then.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go back far enough to remember when I was little kid, sneaking around trying to visit shows and peeking into dressing rooms, I was impressed that the performers arrived on the lot dressed in suits and ties, with sharp haircuts and shoeshines. In time, I realized they took great pride in being performers, representative of their profession on and off the lot.

8/05/2006 3:49 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

HEAR HEAR!!!!
Once one of my sons watched Mickey Roony in an "Andy Hardy" movie with me, when it was over he asked if kids then were always that polite, and dress like that. I said they sure did.

8/05/2006 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The partner of Pedro Morales Sr. is Jack Durand-- we used to do club dates with him around Chicago in the 1950s' and 60s'--Nice guy--

8/06/2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger 24-HOUR-MAN said...

I barely remember Durand, since this photo is '28, or '29 it is possible this guy predates Jack Durand. I don't know if I can add a photo by "editing but I will try", it shows Pedro practicing I think with the guy in the group, which is why I described him as Pedro's partner.

8/07/2006 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an old fuddy duddy, but I have always said that class, style and beauty left when humans started taking their clothes off in public. Lordy I still wore gloves and a hat in the early sixtys. Everyone knows by now that I am one bulb short in the chandalier. I still can not get over the way humans attend church. Anything goes. Some times you see less clothing on a person in the audience then in the ring. I am all for struting your stuff in the ring, thats what you get paid for. What happened to our sunday best? Nothing like having a swell dinner party and having some one show up in a thong and bra. Of course now it backyard barbque. not a sit down dinner. But I hope you get the picture. The old timers with the circus knew about class and style, Thank god I learned from an old timer. Who has ever seen JC in shirt sleeves. He told me recently to wear loose clothing for women and tight clothing for men. Boy am I pissed at him. Just like a man. I have since gone the comfort route like everyone else. Their goes my dinner party invite.

8/07/2006 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home